Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Here They Come!!!


Grandbabies!!!!!

But They Are Not Mine!!!!
YET

Friends are starting to have Grandbabies. I am so happy for them!


While in Utah, this past November, I got to revisit some quilt stores and find some new ones. I picked up a Moda Layer Cake. At our guild's retreat this past October I demonstrated a simple way to make a pinwheel. I have searched high and low for the link and I can not find it. So today I made a simple photo tutorial on making the block. Please excuse my photos--this was my first attempt at doing this.


This quilt is made with Moda Layer Cake cottons, soft baby blue Minkee (?) for borders, backing and binding. And a over sized Rick-Rack . The batting is 50%Bamboo and 50% organic cotton.

I loved quilting with this batting!



The quilting.



Detail of quilting.

















Cut any size squares (2) that you choose. Mine are 10 inch. It can be any size but be

consistent through out the quilt you are working on.





Right sides together. Sew 1/4 inch all the way around the block.





Take ruler and cut corner to corner this way.






And corner to corner this way























Should look like this after it has been cut



Open each piece and it should look like this.

Either finger press or iron.





Rotate blocks to form a Pinwheel


And sew to form the block!!!



And it is that easy!!!!


Till We Quilt Again,

Helen












9 comments:

  1. I remember this type of tutorial...thanks for the memory jog. Why were you in Utah in November? I live in Utah...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial, Craftybear from the Quilting Board Site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your tutorial. I'll have to give this method a try for my new grandson's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I forgot how easy and nice looking that square is....the quilt is beautiful...the quilting is GORGEOUS!!!! You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilt and great colours. I just love blue and brown together. Thanks so much for your visit on my blogiversary! This made my special day such fun!
    Be blessed
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this technique! I used the same layer cake in a different pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! Was it hard to use minky as a border and as binding. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this method for hst.... in a round about way :) I cant wait to try this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this technique on a Missouri Star Quilt Company video. I made my first pinwheels this way. Fun and easy. My center points matched up very nicely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for stopping by and leaving a few words. I will answer questions for all to read or you can email me privately for a private response. Either way I will answer you soon. Till We Quilt Again, Helen